Wednesday, October 1, 2008

32w4d

Spent the night in L&D again. I had been having contractions for about 24 hours but they were irregular and not too intense. They did say to call if I was having any contractions but I was pretty sure it was nothing. Anyway, my mom convinced me to call and they told me to go in to be monitored. I got in there and was having some contractions between 7 and 17 minutes apart. The house doc checked me and said I was 2cm and 60%. She also checked to make sure that my water didnt break (negative) and did another ffn (positive). They eventually started me on an IV (Brian was upset that it was a few hours after I got there before they hooked me up again as we knew it would be necessary since there really wasnt anything else they are going to do for me at this point). Unfortunately, as soon as the IV started my contractions were coming 3-5 minutes apart for a while so I wasnt going anywhere. They moved me to a quieter room for the night and increased my procardia to every 4 hours instead of 6. We tried to get some sleep without much success. Brian was sleeping in a horribly small and uncomfortable chair in a freezing cold room with a paper thin blanket. I was lucky enough to be in a decent bed with a pillow and enough blankets but was hooked up to all of the machines so it wasnt easy to sleep.

Aunt Marie came on at 7 and was my nurse for the rest of my time there. Also, Dr. T, the newest doc in my practice, was on so I got to meet her and she followed my progress starting at 7 also. I was still having contractions but not as frequent. Dr. T checked me and I was still 2cm (so I'm going with that from now on, I guess the first doc was a little aggressive). She wanted me to continue on the procardia every 4 hours and see how I do before I could leave. Around 9 I made Brian go home to get some sleep because I was expecting to be there into the afternoon. He was still planning on going to work at some point so he needed the sleep. After my 8am dose things slowed down to just irritability and a few contractions here and there. Finally, by 1 they decided to send me home... finally! I spoke with both Dr. T and Dr. B (he was there for a c-section and stopped in), they both said that I will probably continue to have irregular contractions so no need to call every time anymore (although they both said it was good that I went in last night and they wouldnt have kept me that long if I had called unnecessarily), they've done all they can do for me. Next time I call it should be for regular contractions that are at increased intensity - when I go into labor.

I'm glad to have clear instructions now. I'm glad I dont have to keep spending nights in triage to try to get contractions to stop. Obviously I want him to stay in there and cook a little longer and I will continue bed rest and the meds but if I have to spend one more night in L&D I might go crazy. When they told me to come in last night I almost cried. I wanted them to just say irregular contractions are fine, I knew these were fine. Ugh, oh well. Better to be safe than sorry, we dont know what it could have turned into. So I will continue on bed rest and take the procardia every 4 hours. I have a non-stress test on Friday and an appointment with Dr. T next Thursday. Hopefully I wont see her before then!!

Oh and everyone on L&D knows me now... I am like a celebrity up there!!

3 comments:

Jill said...

Yuck, I'm sorry! I'm glad you don't have to call (and possibly go in) every time, though. I hope your little one keeps cooking awhile longer!

Ariella said...

I am glad things ended up being okay but spending the night in L&D sucks. I hope you can keep him in there and growing for another 5 weeks or so.

Becky Le Cochon said...

good lord woman! you have me on pins and needles